Being a parent is one of the hardest jobs we will ever do, and being a sober parent can add to this. How to do we educate our kids about alcohol and drugs? When do we tell them our own histories? How can we protect our kids from addiction? Sober Parent hopes to offer support, advice, and help in all these areas.
The site was started by Veronica Valli, a long-term sober mother of two young children. Although there is an abundance of parenting resources out there, very few are specifically for parents in recovery. The goal with Sober Parent is to create a resource site with articles, book reviews, and interviews with sober parents that can support anyone raising children in sobriety.
We would love to hear from you if you are interested in writing an article, reviewing a parenting book, or would like to contribute in some way. We want this to be a community for all who need it.
We welcome any guest posts on the subject of parenting and sobriety. If you would like to submit a post please follow the submission guidelines below and then contact us with your submission.
- Each post must come with a photo. The photo must be credited with an appropriate source (if required), and must be legal to use. Be sure you include the hyperlink to the photo source with your submission so we know where to credit it. Multiple photos are great if your article is longer. The Creative Commons area of Flickr and Pexels are good places to search for photos.
Post length should be approximately 350–750 words. 500 is a nice round number.
- Posts end with a brief author’s bio (2-3 sentences) that links to the site (or sites) of the author’s choice. Please also send a photo of yourself.
- We reserve the right to edit your submission for brevity, grammar, readability, and sometimes for meaning. If a large amount of editing is necessary, it will be returned to the author for revision.
- You retain the copyright to your writing, but once it’s submitted, we reserve the right to use and refer to it.
- We cannot pay for posts, but will link to your site and/or products as appropriate.
Sober Parent Interviews
If you are a sober parent and would like to be interviewed for this site, please contact us directly. The interviews take place over email and start with a question or two (from us) and evolve into a conversation. The purpose is to gain insight and wisdom based on your experiences as a parent. We would like to know about your mistakes and successes, what you learnt from parenting in recovery, how you discuss drugs and alcohol with your kids etc. All interviews will be published using your first name, they can also be anonymous if you choose. If possible we would like to use a photo with your piece, it can be of yourself or with your family, what ever you feel most comfortable with.
If you have a parenting book that you love, please consider recommending it to our community by writing a brief review (200–500 words) detailing a bit about the book and why it helped you. Please contact us with your recommendations.